Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Introduction!

Just a quick note to explain the title of the blog. I have always felt that it was more important to teach than preach "life" lessons to my daughter, Sheena, in a loving, fun and non-threatening way. One of the earliest "sayings" I taught her was "Don't take any wooden nickels". The point of it all...was for her to understand that things aren't always as they appear. Because, as it says in 2 Corinthians 11:14 "And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light." I wanted her to learn to discern the difference between the truth and what can be appear to be OK, harmless, acceptable, because after all - everyone else is doing it and they think it's OK. I wanted her to understand that she needed to examine each choice that she faced and determine...is this the genuine article or just a fake imitation.

I knew that throughout her entire life she would be faced with choices and I wouldn't always be right there at the moment to help make those choices with her. I wanted to teach her a simple phrase to remind her to think before acting.

Over the years a tradition arose each time we parted, a firm hug and a kiss on the cheek, a last minute instruction, "good-by sweetheart, have fun, be safe, I Love You," and each time as I continued to talk...she would stop me to say "I know daddy - I won't take any wooden nickels" As she walked away, with those words tucked away she would glance back for a quick smile and a wink.

So this blog is titled "No Wooden Nickels" because throughout my life I want to see truth, show truth, and know truth and I ask the Holy Spirit to work in me to have the spirit of discernment.

In this blog I will be sharing some of my old thoughts, new revelations and my journey through cancer.

1 comment:

  1. Kevin,
    Wow. Did I ever know you guys before? Thank you for letting me (and many others) in. Your candor is refreshing.
    Love,
    Donna Kupferschmidt

    ReplyDelete